Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Couples That Could Make It In Real Life

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week, they post a subject and the goal is to answer the question with your top ten picks. Once you've done it, link back to The Broke and the Bookish and check out what other bloggers have to say!
Top Ten Couples That Could Make It In Real Life
Couples that could:

1) Tris and Four (Divergent by Veronica Roth)- These two make the top of my list for one simple and all important reason and that is because their relationship is built on respect. They don't always agree, sometimes they have to go at it alone but they always respect each other. Nothing proves this better than the ending of Insurgent. I love how they encourage each other to be the best they can be and are there for each other without judgement when they know the other one needs it.

2) Mara and Noah (The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin)- I really feel like they'd be that larger than life couple that everyone knows and loves. I think that since they are willing to be there for each other through anything that they'd make it through the troubles of real life. I also think they'd make it because they can laugh with each other and be honest.

3) Violet and Jay (The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting)- I have no doubt in my mind that this couple would make it through all the rough patches and the reason why is because they were friends first. They understand that a relationship is built around honesty and trust and they've been building a foundation like that for all of their lives. I love that we've seen this couple fight and handle their problems with each other maturely. When they were going through a rough patch, Violet didn't just break up with Jay. They worked it out together.

4) Bella and Edward (Twilight by Stephenie Meyer)- I know at least half of you are rolling your eyes right about now and I completely understand why. But I don't think anyone would deny that they were willing to do anything to keep the other person safe and half of being in a good relationship is understanding sacrifice. These two would go to the ends of the earth for each other which is why I think their relationship would last in the long run.

5) Janie and Cabel (Wake by Lisa McMann)- I've read all of these novels and I have no doubt in my mind that these two would make it in real life. They are both so used to having nothing that they understand to treasure something real when they have it. Both of them are devoted to each other and respect each other.

Couples that couldn't:
1) Katniss and Peeta (The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins)- I love this couple just as much as everyone else. I think they are adorable together and I wanted them to be together in the end. But had they not gone through The Hunger Games (and since this is real life, I'm assuming they didn't), I don't think they'd stay together in real life. They're way too different. He'd get tired of her no-nonsense attitude and difficulty expressing love and she'd get fed up with his head being in the clouds all the time. I love them but I'm not convinced they'd work in real life.

2) Juliette and Adam (Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi)- Again, I love these two together a lot. I think they are wonderful and passionate and adorbs. I love that he can touch her and she feels alive because of it. But in real life, I'm not convinced that what holds them together would be enough. He went through such lengths to save her but I'm not even sure I believe his reasons in the book, much less in real life. However, I do believe that if someone comes along that can truly touch another person (metaphorically) they might have a good chance.

3) Calla and Ren (Nightshade by Andrea Cremer)- This is going only on Nightshade as I haven't read the other books but I don't think these two would make it in the long run. Ren is drop dead sexy and he and Calla definitely have a connection but she would end up resenting him for forcing her into a life she isn't sure she wants anymore. Ren represents all the things the Calla should want but can't. Plus, I can't see an arranged marriage working out.

Would-be couples that have a shot:
1) Katniss and Gale (The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins)- Please don't shoot me. I was not a fan of this couple and I wanted Katniss and Peeta together hardcore. But if we are looking at this logically, I think Gale and Katniss make the most sensible match. They have a lot more common interests and have already built a solid foundation on need and trust. They talk to each other about things and tend to think the same way. I know we like to think that opposites attract, and sometimes they do, but in my experience, they don't often stay together.

2) Harry Potter and Hermione Granger (Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling)- I know, I know, we like Ron and Hermione and Harry and Ginny. But I've always been a fan of Harry and Hermy finding their way to each other. Even Ron knew it was likely. It's because they respect each other so much and are generally good friends. I always felt that they connected on a deeper level than Harry did with Ginny or Ron did with Hermy. If they had ended up together, I think they would have lasted.

3) Riley and Beck (The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver)- Let's face it, these two are practically a couple but since it isn't canon yet, they go on this list. Yes, they drive each other mad but that's only because they think alike. They both see the same things, they just express them differently which makes the other think they are wrong. But they respect each other, trust the other one with their life and when they hang up all of the tension, they really do connect on a deeper level.

Which couples made your list?

16 comments:

  1. I love your list, although I will forever be in team Peeta! Violet and Jay do make a wonderful couple.

    Liza’s Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am most definitely Team Peeta and always have been. I'm just not sure that had this been real life, that they would have made it for the long run.

      Glad you approve of Violet and Jay!

      Delete
  2. Hoooooly cow. You took some RISKS here! But I like how you talked your way through them, and although I may disagree that certain couples would/wouldn't have worked IRL, I can totally see how you came to your conclusions.

    It's saying something that you gave Katniss and Gale a better shot than Katniss and Peeta, AND you stuck Harry and Hermione together, and yet I find myself without the sudden desire to jump through my computer and throttle you. Well played, Amber. Well played.

    Here's my TTT, which may not be QUITE as well-explained as yours, but I did use pictures and videos, so that's something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You are hilarious and I'm glad you don't want to throttle me.

      I'm a huge fan of Peeta and Katniss and I wanted them to be together. But if I'm being honest about the IRL thing, I'm not sure they would have made it together in the long run. I'm pretty sure it would have been Katniss who ended them actually.

      I've always been a fan of Harry and Hermoine. I can't help myself. I think that they just go together.

      Thanks for dropping by and seeing my points even if you don't agree with them all!

      Delete
  3. I almost put Katniss and Peeta--I think they have a shot at growing into a great love. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love them together, I'm just not entirely sure Katniss is capable of that. I love her, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not convinced she'd ever really let herself fall head over heels for anyone.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Great list though we disagree about Katniss and Peeta! Haha oh well! Janie and Cabel was a awesome pick and I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked Janie and Cabel. They were last on my list. I knew it was missing *something*.

      Delete
  5. Awesome picks! I definitely agree with your pick of Mara and Noah Shaw. They are just perfect for each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I feel like it would be awesome just knowing them.

      Delete
  6. I can see the eye roll with Edward and Bella lol but I think they've already proven that they would make it.
    Katniss wouldn't end up with anyone IMO even though I love Peeta - I'll take him if she didn't want him.
    i always wanted Harry and Hermione together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know people are over Twilight but I loved it and am sticking to it. I do think they'd make it IRL though.

      Delete
  7. Amber, you are SO BRAVE for putting Katniss & Peeta on your "Couldn't survive" list. And I happen to agree w/you. Also Harry and Hermione. I always thought they would end up together.
    Great list. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Katniss and Peeta, I really do. And in fiction, they are one of my favorite couples but I just don't think they'd last in real life. Glad that you agree!

      Delete
  8. Hey I was just commenting on someone else's post that I like Ron/Hermione, but I still somehow ship Harry/Hermione. Love it! =)

    Also totally agree with Violet/Jay and Tris/Four. I was *also* just saying about Tris and Four being built on mutual respect and admiration. It's like we're sharing a brain. =b

    Here's my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Ron/Hermione together but I still feel like Harry/Hermione would be a great couple too.

      Delete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen