Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (2): Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Waiting on Wednesday is meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine where you can post about upcoming you're looking forward to.


This next book I am in lust with I've ordered off Amazon already and CAN'T wait until it arrives. I've always been a Poe fan, I can remember sitting in sixth grade with the lights off and my eyes closed listening to The Tell Tale Heart and it was all over for me by then.




Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting


On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;


And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,


And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;


And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor


Shall be lifted - nevermore!
-- from "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe


Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.


Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.
As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.


His life depends on it.


So I've got one word for this and that is yummy! I can't wait to see how the author wove Poe's short story through this novel. We already get hints with Varen (raven) so I'm interested to see what else she can bring to the table.


What are you looking forward to?

5 comments:

  1. This sounds soo good! This kind of reminds me of Inception, just with the dream factor. I love Edgar Allen Poe's poem The Raven. I really love the cover of this book.
    Here's my WoW: http://read-a-holic-blog.blogspot.com/2010/08/waiting-on-wednesday-3-maximum-ride.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea, having Poe's stories come to life! Sounds like it could be pretty nightmarish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nevermore sounds pretty cool. That's an attention-grabbing cover!

    Check out my WoW pick of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting on this one too. Great pick

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this one on order and wondered about it. Thought of canceling it because no one has talked about it, but Poe. I just love him. And I read the blurb again and just couldn't cancel it so I'll be reading it too! Can't wait!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen