Monday, August 9, 2010

Empty Nest Syndrome

After weeks of prep, hours of writing, re-writing and editing, I finally sent my novel out into the world of Beta Readers.

I'm truly surprised at the response I got from people to take a look at my WIP. To give you an idea, my last novel had 4 people read it, this one has 10. I know for a fact that this is going to really benefit my work I'm hoping it will give me the edge to finally get my name in print.

I'm entering the hardest phase right now and that is waiting. I've done all I can do, I sent it out last night and told my lovely betas they had one month to read it and come back with opinions/notes. During this one month I can't even look at it. I've got to find something else to write because I'm having withdrawals after finishing last week and not writing. Otherwise this month will consist of me checking my e-mail consistently and on the edge of my seat because someone, somewhere is picking at my baby as we speak.

Well, I guess they say absence makes the heart grow fonder for a reason. I just hope it also makes me grow tougher to prepare for all the seams I'm going to have to go back and snip.

What about you? If you write, what part are you at currently?

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on making the next step!

    Oh how I wish I could even get that far. I tend to have a lot of ideas in my head, work with them for a short period of time, then leave them. So currently, I'm still at a bunch of beginnings with my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it past the 15 000 thousand word mark but then I started to work more on starting up my blog... so that has sort of left a bit less time to write. I'm determined to get back to it though, so Ive been running some ideas in my head, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm at the same place as Alissa. I'm still figuring out how to follow through with all the ideas bouncing around in my head. I would love to write a novel or two in the future, but I want to be more consistent with my short stories and blogs before I make that dedication. Plus, I have a feeling that one of my short stories will just evolve into a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alissa and Sam- I have a bunch of ideas too. I find that it helps me to keep an idea box and work with the one I'm most excited about. I develop characters (which makes me more excited) then plot out the entire story so I know where it is going. It helps me stay on track. If I get another idea I love, I start a new folder and write down notes so that I can go back after my current WIP is done and find my next project.

    Midnight- I try to set aside a certain time to write everyday. It really helps me to go to a place where there is no internet that way I HAVE to write. Set a goal, even if it's only 500 words per day and stick to it.

    Everyone- These are just a few tricks I've learned to help me get on track, from one writer to another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting it out there (and thanks for your thoughts about Ghostgirl!)

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen