Monday, August 16, 2010

Cover Envy (3)

It's that time of week again! I'm showing another couple of covers that make me green with envy and stuck sitting on my hands until the novels they cover come out.

Wither by Lauren DeStefano- When I first saw this book cover I knew it was either an amazing book that I needed to get my hands on like yesterday OR an Evanescence single (come on, you know it looks like something that would be an album cover for them). I love everything about this cover from the deep blue background to the bushy hair to the frilly dress. One of the most striking things for me is how the girl resembles a bird with her hair wild like a nest and the "feathers" on her dress. She looks hopeless, trapped. Just like the bird in the cage by her feet.

This makes a lot of sense with the blurb:

Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant she trusts, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limted time she has left. 


Unearthly by Cynthia Hand- I love that this cover is jumping out of the popular black and blue phase that so many other YA paranormal titles go with these days. The font is incredible and I love the feather hidden in on the left hand side. Everything from the girl's position to the soft flowing dress speaks to the title of this novel.

Here's the blurb:

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees. . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what it is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place--and out of place, at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.



As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make--between honesty and deciet, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?


So that's it for this week! What are you envying lately? 

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of cover envy. I think if there's one cover I envy, it's 'Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood'by Eileen Cook. I mean that is such an awesome cover--it begs to be picked up and read.

    All the best,

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, I just looked it up and you're not kidding! It does look amazing. Thanks so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi

    I love your blog. So glad you like the Wither cover! I'm the photographer who shot it and it's one of my faves! I don't suppose you'd consider adding a credit for me to your review along with my website? www.alismith.com. That would be so appreciated!

    best
    ali

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen