Monday, January 9, 2012

Book Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins (January 3, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 006207203X
ISBN-13: 978-0062072030
Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Source: ARC provided by publisher
Cover: This cover is absolutely gorgeous! I'm in love with everything about it from the aether swirling in the background to the model's strong pose, striding with purpose towards us. The font with the enlarged title glowing like the aether in the book is a great touch too. Overall, I think this is one of the strongest dystopian covers I've seen.


Mini-Review: An expert blending of sci-fi, fantasy and dystopian, Under the Never Sky is a richly crafted debut with something incredible to discover on every page.


Summary:
Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction. 
As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions. 
They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.
Review


Expertly blending elements of sci-fi, fantasy and dystopian into one, Under the Never Sky is a richly crafted debut with something incredible to discover on every page. Humming with excitement, Under the Never Sky is filled with vibrant and well developed characters. The pair of main characters make the reader want to find out what's going to happen to them and the setting feels like a world unfolding with each page.

Following both Perry and Aria in third person, the reader gets both perspectives of two distinctly different races. Aria comes from the world underneath a dome where technology is used as the only escape and everything is orderly and docile. All the air is regulated, the food carefully enhanced and the only entertainment is the simulated pleasures of the Realms. Scientist and engineers have nipped and tucked the world into all the "best" parts so that there is no pain or sickness or unpleasant things. Because of this easy life, Aria isn't equipped with the knowledge on how to protect herself or survive in the world outside the dome called "the Death Shop" by her people. Though she lacks basic survival skills, it is easy to like Aria because she questions her surroundings and instead of moping around when her life spins out of control, she fights back with everything she has.

In sharp contrast with her society is the one Peregrine comes from. Taking half the chapters, Perry is skilled in surviving outside with the aether storms, cannibals and small amounts of food. He knows how to hunt and how to protect himself. And unlike the race that retreated, the Outsiders have adepted with the aether which (though it still plagues them) have enhanced their Senses to incredible lengths. Perry's particular abilities are incredibly fascinating to read about and I really enjoyed learning how Perry's world mixed old customs with new ones.

But the best part by far about following both of these characters around is watching them both start to change. It isn't just Aria that shifts as she stays on the outside but Perry changes a bit too. They start out on opposite sides of the spectrum and through spending time with each other, they both drift into the middle, learning useful things about each society through each other. Watching these two characters slowly learn to trust each other and realize that something more is blossoming underneath their original need for each other is satisfying and slow like all good things. I cared for these characters and their journey.

The secondary characters helped to make the world richer with their presence. Perry's bond with Talon is adorable, Aria's need to find and make ammends with her mother is heartbreaking and Roar's charisma really helped to brighten the novel when it started to seem too bleak. Even Cinder's strange presence is welcome. I also really liked the character's brief stay in Delphi because it helped show that though the world is rough, there are bright patches in it.

Even the world itself seemed like a living, breathing thing. It is in this new place that the author created that I see traces of fantasy in this novel. From the aether clouding the sky and raining down with its vicious storms to the cannibalistic Crovens to the Blood Lords and Sense, everything felt familiar but distant too. The world wasn't so far-fetched that I couldn't picture it but it was different enough to feel wild and exciting. I liked seeing how people survived in this darker place and how being in The Death Shop changed Aria.

With everything else going on, the plot was actually pretty straight forward. I liked that the characters had time to explore this strange world (and each other) and weren't tied down by some ticking clock. Yet, there was enough tension that putting down Under the Never Sky proved difficult. Ms. Rossi's writing is easy to follow. I did notice a few bumps here and there (mostly just dialog jumping around) which might be straighten out in the final draft. Also, I did have some trouble getting into the story at the beginning because of the third person narrative but that's because I'm used to first. I actually prefer first and usually find it hard to get into the third person narrative mindset. Once my brain switched though, I barely noticed it and I liked have the freedom of following both Aria and Perry.

Under the Never Sky promises so much with its pretty package and it delivers everything and more. A vivid and well developed world offer the perfect backdrop for characters the reader will want to get to know. That Under the Never Sky is first in a series is all the better for me. A debut that's impossible to put down, Under the Never Sky should be filed under "never to be missed" right next to your favorites shelf so you won't have to move it far when you are finished.
Rating:

Favorite Lines:
He stood. "You better live, little Mole," he said. "After all this."
--Pg. 28 of an ARC of "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi
Between his nose and his eye, he figured he was made for the night.
--Pg. 32 of an ARC of "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi
She couldn't think beyond his grip on her wrist. A wave of warm air swept past her, heavy, like fingers brushing her face.
--Pg. 101 of an ARC of "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi
The tattoo on his back was of a falcon, judging by the sleek head...In the Realms people used moving designs. They chose new ones whenever they wanted. She couldn't imagine having an image on her skin forever.
--Pg. 111 of an ARC of "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi
"Never, Mole. The Aether never leaves."/She looked up. "A world of nevers under a never sky."
--Pg. 124 of an ARC of "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi
He hadn't seen her as a girl before now. He's seen her as a Mole. Now he couldn't stop seeing all the girl about her.
--Pg. 169 of an ARC of "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi
"You took so long. I thought maybe the Croven had gotten you."/His eyes glinted with amusement. "No wonder you were sleeping so well."
--Pg. 218 of an ARC of "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi
Perry stared at the empty space by her side. Just four steps away. Four steps that looked like a mile. Hr took them like he was going to launch himself off a cliff.
--Pg. 240 of an ARC of "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi
She absorbed the terror and beauty of him and his world. Of every moment over the past days. All of it, filing her up like the first breath she'd ever taken. And never had she loved life more.
--Pg. 252 of an ARC of "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi
...She learned that it was the loveliest thing to be kissed for no reason...
--Pg. 327 of an ARC of "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi

27 comments:

  1. Great review! I just bought this one recently and can't wait to read it, I'll definitely have to bump it up on my to be read pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read/reviewed this & I completely agree! I loved every bit of the story, the characters.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review! I must check this one out. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so wow. Wow, wow, wow! I wasn't sure what to think about this book at first, but your review (& those quotes ♥!!) makes me want to read it right away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wow wow! I really want to read this! It's not published here in the UK until Feb, plus I much prefer this cover to the pink UK one.
    Great review Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so loved this book. "docile" was a great way to describe the pods. I thought the 3rd person alternating perspectives was a little unusual.

    I agree with one of the other commenters...the US cover is way better than the UK.

    Amy @ www.bookgoonie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an ARC of this one from NetGalley. This review makes me want to start it TODAY! The world-building sounds totally amazing and beautiful. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree that Rossi did a fabulous job with the world building - just the right balance of descriptions, but I felt that if there hadn't been references to Van Gogh paintings and furniture from Versailles then I wouldn't have realised it was meant to be our Earth. It was a lot more 'other-worldly' than many of the other dystopians I've read - not a bad thing, just different. great review, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been meaning to read this book! I have heard such great things about it! Your review sounds like I should get right on it. :)
    Joy @ Book Lagniappe

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you loved this one! I really enjoyed it too. I can only hope we get more world building in the next book. Very fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautifully crafted review! When I see that many quotes I know it has to be a good read with good writing. I love it when an author is able to create world building where it seems that the world they live in is it's own character. I need to pick this one up sooner than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Expertly blending elements of sci-fi, fantasy and dystopian into one, Under the Never Sky is a richly crafted debut with something incredible to discover on every page."

    I have to agree 100%. I was a little worried, because UtNS takes three of my most favorite genres and blends them. I was nervous that it wouldn't succeed, but oh, how it did!! It blew my mind. Absolutely LOVED it.

    Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could have stopped reading at this:

    "An expert blending of sci-fi, fantasy and dystopian..."

    I was totally sold. Sci-fi, fantasy and dystopian are my three favorite genres. Combine them into one, and I can imagine this book will be at the very TOP of my reading list...once I can get my hands on it (waiting list at the library is SO LONG. *sob*)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved your review. And I loved the cannibals. I think, small parts though they were, they were my favorites. I don't know why. Guess I just have a thing for charismatic cannibals.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my favorite books of 2012!!! Aria and Perry are wonderful characters and I enjoyed every moment I spent with them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I should really get a move on this one! It's sitting on my tbr pile!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the idea of sci-fi dystopian and that two different races meet:)

    Aria and Perry sound like incredibly interesting characters.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked this book. It was one of the first dystopian novels I read and I think I'm hooked now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not a huge fan of third person narration, but I do love alternating perspectives, so this is still on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! I love when the pretty covers are not a trap! Dystopia love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love your favorite lines. I loved this book so much when I read it. I'll admit to being a little confused at first, but I hung with it and the story played itself out so well - and before long I was SUCKED IN and couldn't get enough. By the time the story ended I was SO SAD was over. I need to read the next book SOON and like always, I'll want to re-read this one before the next installment comes out. This is one of the better-written, most imaginative and creative books that has come out in the past couple of years, in my opinion. Plus the cover is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Favorite lines are awesome! I've gotta make sure this is on my TBR List! Looks like a goodie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the first review of this book I've read that has me interested! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read this book yet, but it has been on my TBR for a really long time now. I now want to read it even more. I love sci-fi and dystopian. They are my two favorite genres to read right now. I especially love that there is a little bit of romance in this book as well as action! That is really intriguing. Thanks for such a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved this one! I loved how different Aria and Perry are but how they both change, like you said. And I loved the pacing of their relationship. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I heard so many great things about this book! And the girl on the cover looks epic :)

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen