Wednesday, November 28, 2012

YA Books Like Doctor Who

I figured I'd combine my two favorite things in this article and talk about (mostly) YA books that are like Doctor Who. Some of these I add I have read and some I've picked up hoping they are like Doctor Who and will find out with you. So check out my list of books that evoke some of my favorite aspects of Doctor Who.
If you like the romance time travel aspect:

1) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
This is the perfect blend of romance and time travel. I've read it and not only is it amazing, it's one that will stay with you forever. It isn't exactly YA though.

2) Tempest by Julie Cross
The entire reason the main character time travels is to go back and save the girl he loves. If you like time traveling men, check this one out!

If you like the pure time travel aspect:

1) Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
I haven't read this one but it sounds like an awesome read with a time traveling heroine.

2) Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren
This is another one I haven't read but comes highly recommended by KM over at One Page at a Time YA Reviews who has excellent taste in novels and is all about time travel.

If you like the sci-fi element:

1) Across the Universe by Beth Revis
This is an awesome book about space and romance. It is beautifully written and completely engaging. If you are looking to capture the wonder of a space adventure in Doctor Who, this is definitely one to read.

2) Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
I haven't read this one but it sounds like a great space adventure!

3) Cinder by Marissa Meyer
This is another one I haven't read yet but it combines aliens and cyborgs which will defintely capture a Doctor Who episode!

If you like books about aliens:

1) I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
This book is all about a male alien trying to find a normal life on earth which is so very the Doctor (though the Doctor is only fascinated in normal and not so much longing for it). It defintiely captures the idea of aliens trying to befriend humans.

2) Obsidian by Jennifer L Armentrout
I haven't read this one but it comes highly recommended by basically everyone. It's got a good looking alien falling for a human girl.

So there are my suggestions to snag a little Doctor Who into your reading. If you can think of any others, please feel free to mention them below. I'm always happy to learn more about these genres and figure out how they could relate to the Who universe. Also, be on the look out for an international giveaway later today for one of these novels!

4 comments:

  1. YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! Considering I just got done watching Doctor Who, onto Season 4 now, I was so happy to see this post up! ;) Great list - I've read a lot of them and have most of them, and can't wait to read them all! :) <3 Doctor Who

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading Ruby Red right now. It has been great so far. I loved Cinder, Glow and Across the Universe. Amazing novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Ruby Red and Cinder! Great post! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Waterfall, and it's a nice story of time traveling, where you can feel the protagonist's sense of lost in time. makes you feel that the Doctor's companion might feel that way initially but also shows how adaptable they are, and smart to still come out brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen