Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Teaser Tuesday (72) and Top Ten Tuesday (18)

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along, just do as following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that pageBe careful not to include any spoilers so as not to ruin the book for others!Make sure to share the title and the author so other TT participants can add the book to their TBR piles!

Where It Began by Ann Redisch Stampler
"What do you think, Nash? I say as casually as possible under the circumstances. "You think you own me now or something?" Thinking: Own me own me own me. 
Billy reaches over and he put his fingers through the hair behind my ear. "Yeah," he says into my ear. "Oh yeah, I own you now."
--Pg. 103 of an ARC of "Where It Began" by Ann Redisch Stampler

I'm almost halfway through this book and am loving it! Gabby's voice is so strong and unique . I can't wait for her to realize her own strength.

What's your teaser?

Top Ten Tuesday is a 10's list meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. There is a different question every week and all you have to do is answer their question with your top ten results!
Top Ten Books You'd Recommend a Non-Reader
This list is definitely going to look like a lot of my other ones but bear with me. I wanted to separate it into guys and girls but I feel like girls are less picky (or maybe I just read things tailored to chicks) so I've got a great girl list and girls/guys list too!

For girls:

1) Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi- This novel is jammed packed with romance and adventure, my two favorite things. The characters are unforgettable, the pacing is perfect and the writing is like nothing you've experienced before.

2) Shifting by Bethany Wiggins- This book is about Native American mythology which is really interesting and has an endlessly fascinating main character. Maggie Mae spent half of her time surprising me and the other half delighting me. I couldn't wait for me!

3) The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin- Hauntingly beautiful, this book is perfect to start a dialog with. Mara is funny, realistic and sarcastic plus, you never know if what she is seeing is real or imaginined. Not to mention, this book has one of the sexiest lead male characters I've ever come across.

4) Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer- I know this could be a guy/girl crossover but I still think that with the strong element of romance, this is a girl's book (no offense to the guy's who have read and loved it, more power to you!) I feel like Bella is a lot like most of us actually are in high school and it's nice to read a character like that. From page 1, there is something truly addicting about this book. After all, there is a reason for all the hype.

5) Fracture by Megan Miranda- Delaney's sarcastic yet lovable nerdy personality coupled with an interesting plot is sure to get even those who don't like reading into the mood. It's part thriller, part paranormal and even some contemporary in there so there is something for everyone.

For guys/girls:

1) The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins- Jammed packed with action and characters who kick ass, this will delight both girls and guys. Even though it's told in the perspective of a girl, guys will be able to relate to Katniss's rough around the edges personality too!

2) Divergent by Veronica Roth- Like The Hunger Games, this novel is heavy on the action. A lot like Fight Club but with chicks, Tris' determination and unwillingness to break in the toughest situations is too hard not to fall for.

3) Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling- How can the boy who lived and launched a reading sensation not be on this list? Even if reading has been boring in the past, these books are so stuffed with magic, there is no way anyone can't fall in love with them.

4) Incarnate by Jodi Meadow- This novel has loads of crossover potential. Again, Ana is a strong lead, there is romance but it's not the prominent feature and the world is so diverse and imaginative, it's hard not for anyone to lose themselves in it.

5) Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi- I love how this novel combines sci-fi and fantasy. Told in third person and alternating between guy and girl, this novel has a strong focus on action and rich world building skills. The perfect read for both guys and girls!

There are plenty of other books I could add to this list but this is a pretty well-rounded one. I hope you see something on here that you haven't read yet and will pick up.

What made your list?

11 comments:

  1. Harry Potter and Hunger Games got a lot of people reading. What great books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really great list. I don't know of any guys that have read Incarnate or Under the Never Sky yet, but I can completely see the crossover appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that teaser! I can't wait to read that book too it sounds so good. Here's my teaser.

    http://paigebradish1996.blogspot.com/2012/02/teaser-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely Divergent! I thought that was such a great follow-up for HG fans, but it might be a gateway read to more dystopian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed WHERE IT BEGAN the other day. Looks interesting. Thanks for the peek inside.

    Here's my Teaser Tuesday

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to these teaser I'm buying this book when it comes out. :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh interesting list - I've read a few and agree. I have Divergent on my shelves hoping to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many great choices! Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good picks! I totally spaced on Twilight for my list, but I have recommended that to a few reluctant readers as well and they seemed to all get hooked. I haven't been able to read Under the Never Sky or Shifting yet, but they are both on my TBR list! Great suggestions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohh great teaser. I can't wait to read Where it Began. Great recommendations too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I want to read Where it Began! It's on my list of books I NEED TO READ!! I am so jealous! I loved the teaser. Thanks for sharing.

    I loved how I read a good portion or the books from your top ten and I am eager to read the others you mentioned. I loved Incarnate and I totally agree about it being a good cross over, however, the cover is-although beautiful- a little girly.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen