Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Waiting on Wedneaday (7): Divergent by Veronica Roth

Waiting on Wednesday is meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine where you can post about upcoming books you're looking forward to.

I just saw the cover this one yesterday and read the blurb on the author's blog. It looks incredible and I have a feeling-- I could be very wrong-- that it is going to be a popular choice this week.


Divergent by Veronica Roth
In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris, and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together, they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes-fascinating, sometimes-exasperating boy fits into the life she’s chosen.

But Tris also has a secret: one she’s kept hidden from everyone, because she’s been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly-perfect society, she also learns that her secret might be what helps her save those she loves . . . or it might be what destroys her.



Gah, I wish I'd heard about this one two days before it's coming out because I can't wait to read it! I love the concept of dividing into separate sectors depending on what you're good at and what you plan to spend the rest of your life doing. All around, this looks like the type of novel that's going to have me gripping the edge of my seat while reading and not being able to read fast enough.


Divergent is out in May 2011.


I've got my Goodreads open in another tab, so now tell me, what about you?  What are you waiting for?

15 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds fantastic! Love the cover, too...great pick this week! My WoW is up now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cover is amazing! I just barely heard about this book! I definitely sounds interesting! Thanks for dropping by my site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you can stand the wait of eight months :)

    Your blog is fantastic...I love that header!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds really good! I love that cover, it looks almost 3-D!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found out about Divergent and I love the sound of the premise and that cover! (Which, by the way, reminds me of Sauron's eye...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is a popular pick today. I hope you get your book and that you enjoy it. Check out what I am Waiting on Wednesday for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen Divergent as a WoW pick a couple times today now... it sounds really good! I haven't fallen in love with the cover just yet but it's definitely growing on me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this sounds amazing!! So going on my TBR list! :D
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, that book sounds amazing! MAY!? garh...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pick! I saw the cover for this last week but wasn't sure what it was about! It sounds like it will be an amazing read! Why must May be so far away? =(

    -Bailey at IB Book Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  11. Divergent is definitely on my Wishlist. I like the division of the city into sectors too - there is so much potential there. Also the cover is very eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many people are waiting on this one, and I totally add my name to that list.

    what I'm waiting for can be found here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen this book on a couple of blogs today. Better add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow this one sounds awesome I'm definitely adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen