Friday, September 16, 2011

Book Tunes (25)


Book Tunes is a new meme that will be held on Fridays and the point is to share the book your reading and a song you think represents it. 

Want to join in?:
  • Write up a post
  • Tell me the book you are reading, the song you picked and why
  • Link up by leaving the URL to your posts in the comments
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.




Mara's Tune: Appearances by The Material

For me, this song represents how Mara feels about her mother. Mara is trying so hard to put on an appearance, to smile and act normal because she's afraid of the consequences. Her mother is trying to do what's best for her but it is pushing Mara further and further underwater that she's suffocating in all of the niceties instead of actually trying to talk to her mother and get her issues out. I feel like this song perfectly describes Mara day to day frustrations. 


Noah's Tune: Impossible by Anberlin

Noah is kind of the impossible one to get in the school but all of a sudden Mara comes along and she wants absolutely nothing to do with him. At this point in the novel, that seems to be one of the main things he likes about her. She doesn't prescribe to his bullshit. She fits him and challenges him. I think that Mara is "impossible" for him to figure out and that's her best quality.


Mara & Noah: Broken by Seether (w/ Amy Lee)

Though Mara and Noah fit each other well, they are both broken in ways. I'm not sure about Noah's deal right now beside his absent father but there is some sort of brokenness just below the surface. They each seem to feel more complete with the other around.


Mara & Noah: Such Great Heights by The Postal Service

Noah says he wants to help Mara. As she falls further into her possible madness, he wants to try to be the thing that brings her home. I think this song fits that's gesture. Plus, Death Cab is mentioned in the novel and this is the lead singers other band!


Those are my picks for  this novel thus far! What do you think of them?






4 comments:

  1. This is cool...I usually put the song that the book reminds me of in at the end of my review. Not all of them of course, but some books just call out for a song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I haven't read UoMD yet, but these songs are exactly how I imagine it will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to join in on book tunes. I really like the concept. Maybe next week I'll have to try and remember. Love the song choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, so cool! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this :D

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen