Monday, May 7, 2012

Shelfmates #4

Some covers just work together...and some, not so much. I've decided to start up a semi-regular feature called Shelfmates to showcase series covers. I love getting the sequel to a novel and putting it up next to the first book so I thought this might be a fun way to do that on my blog! So here are some series covers and my opinions on how they look as a couple (or series...)!

The Mortal Instrument series by Cassandra Clare
So obviously I can't sit here and tell you that these covers aren't stunning. They are manly enough for guys to get away with toting them and pretty enough to make girls drool. The best part is that for me, they just keep getting better. I love how they went from one person to two on the  cover and I'm just not sure how they are going to top City of Lost Souls. That cover is too pretty for words! Overall, these look great side by side and on your shelf!

The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare
Keeping with the same theme, we have The Infernal Device series. I think that adding the whole of these guys was the right decision. Not seeing all of the character's face in the first three Mortal Instrument series books was interesting but I like seeing them a lot more. Again, these two are great on their own and awesome as the pair. I can't wait to see the last cover unveiling!

Raised by Wolves series from Jennifer Lynn Barnes
So here are another set of color covers which as you now know, I adore. I think the first cover is okay, the second cover is killer and the third goes back to be just okay. I'm pretty sure that this has to do with the pose of the model. All together, these look fine but I'm definitely most drawn to Trial By Fire.

Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins
I really like how these covers mimic each other but in each one, the model gets a little bit more grown up. I was looking at these closely to see what I could say and found I was a bit disappointed with the last cover because the girl in the pool looks like the girl above the water in the first one. It didn't go well with my theory that the model looks more grown up on each cover but then I started to really compare them. The girl in the uniform on the first cover looks all buttoned up with her sleeves down and hair tied back. The girl in the uniform on the third is way more sophisticated with her hair loose and sleeves rolled up. She's even ditched the little girl socks. I realized that I really liked that play. All in all, these covers look really good together. 

Juliet Immortal series by Stacey Jay
These are by far my favorite covers displayed today. Both use a play on color and give the reader a feast of things to look at. Juliet Immortal just looks so lonely and forlorn to me with the model hunched in on herself alone on a rock out in the water. Romeo Redeemed is even better with the girl coming up from the waves. Yes to the pair and individually. I honestly can't decide which I like better.

The Faerie Ring series by Kiki Hamilton
The Faerie Ring cover always reminded me of Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series. I'm not sure if they did that on purpose but I don't mind the comparison. Even though they are both stories about fairies, they tell two vastly different tales. I've always been a fan of the first cover and fell in love with the second one too. The only thing I'll say about the second is I'm not sure if that's an outfit they's wear in Victorian England. I do love the hazy blue outline of the wing though. 

Which set is your favorite of the bunch? Like I said above, I have to go with the Juliet Immortal covers. They are just so gorgeous. I also appreciate that most of The Mortal Instrument series covers are boy friendly. 

1 comment:

  1. These shelfmates are awesome! Now that i see better i agree with you of Hex Hall, the model on the cover is going up each cover. You have very good eyes!

    I really need to start on all of these series! In the mortal instruments i'm reading city of glass right now and right now it's AMAZING!!!! Then in the infernel devices i need to start the clockwork prince because i LOVED clockwork prince. Next Hex Hall was a good read! I loved all the mystery in it, athough, i've only read the first one. Both Juliet Immortal and the faerie ring series i need to start on because they sound really great!

    Oh god look at me i'm rambling about myself ( <--- i sound like a old woman) anyway going back to the main point this set of shelfmates is really great! I love this meme! Looking forward to the future ones! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen