Thursday, September 16, 2010

Where do you...

...Write

This is a form of my "How do you..." post but I wanted to make sure the title worked with what I was asking and this week I'm asking "where do you write?"

I write in three different places depending on what part of the process I'm in and what I'm writing.


1) Home- Most of the time, I write at home in my dining room on my laptop. I like my dining room because there is nothing it but huge windows and a large dining room table. It was made as a "Florida room" or "sun room" and it is perfect for no distractions. I usually write in there when I'm in the drafting stage, writing for the fun of it and when I'm not writing a particularly rough scene.

My REAL living room

Must haves:
  • My laptop
  • A pair of comfy pants
  • A tall glass of something (usually water)
  • Teddy grams
Pros:
  • It's usually pretty quiet in my house
  • I don't have to wear earphones
  • My hair can be a mess
  • My outfit can be a mess
  • I can get whatever I need to eat or drink
  • I don't have to deal with the bathroom conundrum (will explain in next place to write)
Cons:
  • Cats demand my attention
  • I feel too free to get up and do anything else besides write
  • I get bored with the setting
  • Lots of distractions-- t.v., cleaning, INTERNET
2) The bookstore- Six months ago when I lived in Tampa, I lived at the Borders on Dale Mabry. It had an awesome cafe and bookside, plenty of plugs and a wonderful staff. Nowadays, I go to the local Books-A-Million which I don't like as much because I used to work there. I like the bookstore because of the atmosphere and the amazing smell of coffee in the cafe. I run for shelter to the bookstore when I have to get some serious writing done OR I'm writing a really difficult scene.
Must haves:
  • Laptop
  • Caramel Frappe (or whatever the store I'm at calls them)
  • A YA book I get to buy if I read my goal
  • Headphones
  • My cute little laptop bag
Pros:
  • No distractions- when I go to the bookstore, my mind knows that I went there to write
  • A new book as a reward
  • The constant flow of people for a scenery change
  • The smell of coffee
  • No cats
Cons:
  • The bathroom conundrum- If I have to go do I leave my laptop there and risk losing my laptop or do I take my laptop with me and risk losing my spot?
  • I know most of the employees and they like to talk
  • I don't have all the comforts of home
  • I have to get all dressed and then sit in uncomfortable jeans
  • I might forget something important like headphones
3) My computer desk- I have a desktop that I use to write short things (like this blog). I love my desktop because it is surrounded by my books in my "library" and has all of my files on back up. I usually like to be at my desk when I'm doing final edits because it has internet. My house isn't wireless so I have to plug in my laptop here which is a pain.

Must haves:
My computer room (I'm on right)
  • A drink
  • Comfy pants
  • My reading glasses
  • Sheer determination
Pros:
  • Has internet for emailing finished drafts
  • Keeps me in one place
  • Hooked up to the printer
  • Has ALL my music plus Pandora
Cons:
  • Has internet for browsing and checking blog
  • I'm stuck here and can't move
  • Cats
  • My husband's desk is next to mine and he likes to watch web videos LOUD
Well, there's my list in a nutshell. Depending on what I'm doing, I'm in one of three places for about two hours a day plugging away at a word count. How about you? Where do you write?

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I seem to write most while I'm sitting in bed. If I sit at a desk I lose focus and become uncomfortable. But in bed, it's just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, this is such a wonderful post. And your house is beautifully decorated, bright, open, comfortable and full of personality. I love it!

    Thanks for sharing this post!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen