This is a form of my "How do you..." post but I wanted to make sure the title worked with what I was asking and this week I'm asking "where do you write?"
I write in three different places depending on what part of the process I'm in and what I'm writing.
1) Home- Most of the time, I write at home in my dining room on my laptop. I like my dining room because there is nothing it but huge windows and a large dining room table. It was made as a "Florida room" or "sun room" and it is perfect for no distractions. I usually write in there when I'm in the drafting stage, writing for the fun of it and when I'm not writing a particularly rough scene.
|My REAL living room|
- My laptop
- A pair of comfy pants
- A tall glass of something (usually water)
- Teddy grams
- It's usually pretty quiet in my house
- I don't have to wear earphones
- My hair can be a mess
- My outfit can be a mess
- I can get whatever I need to eat or drink
- I don't have to deal with the bathroom conundrum (will explain in next place to write)
- Cats demand my attention
- I feel too free to get up and do anything else besides write
- I get bored with the setting
- Lots of distractions-- t.v., cleaning, INTERNET
- Caramel Frappe (or whatever the store I'm at calls them)
- A YA book I get to buy if I read my goal
- My cute little laptop bag
- No distractions- when I go to the bookstore, my mind knows that I went there to write
- A new book as a reward
- The constant flow of people for a scenery change
- The smell of coffee
- No cats
- The bathroom conundrum- If I have to go do I leave my laptop there and risk losing my laptop or do I take my laptop with me and risk losing my spot?
- I know most of the employees and they like to talk
- I don't have all the comforts of home
- I have to get all dressed and then sit in uncomfortable jeans
- I might forget something important like headphones
3) My computer desk- I have a desktop that I use to write short things (like this blog). I love my desktop because it is surrounded by my books in my "library" and has all of my files on back up. I usually like to be at my desk when I'm doing final edits because it has internet. My house isn't wireless so I have to plug in my laptop here which is a pain.
|My computer room (I'm on right)|
- A drink
- Comfy pants
- My reading glasses
- Sheer determination
- Has internet for emailing finished drafts
- Keeps me in one place
- Hooked up to the printer
- Has ALL my music plus Pandora
- Has internet for browsing and checking blog
- I'm stuck here and can't move
- My husband's desk is next to mine and he likes to watch web videos LOUD
Well, there's my list in a nutshell. Depending on what I'm doing, I'm in one of three places for about two hours a day plugging away at a word count. How about you? Where do you write?