Monday, September 27, 2010

Cover Envy (8)

It's that time of week again! I'm showing another couple of covers that make me green with envy and stuck sitting on my hands until the novels they cover come out.


I hope you enjoy!


Blood Magic by Tess Gratton- I just starting hearing whispers about this book a few weeks ago and the cover makes me understand the buzz. I lobe how the flower in the girl's hand mimics blood and turns into birds (I imagine crows because crows are creepy). The flower also works well because it helps the pose of the girl look like she's dead resting in a coffin with a flower tucked in her hand. The usage of red against the black and grey atmosphere is ingenious and works well to draw the eye to the little details-- her lips and her fingernails in particular. I also love whatever is lurking out there in the background (and it's coming closer).


Here's the summary from Goodreads:


For Nick Pardee and Silla Kennicot, the cemetery is the center of everything.

Nick is a city boy angry at being forced to move back to the nowhere town of Yaleylah, Missouri where he grew up. He can’t help remembering his mom and the blood magic she practiced – memories he’s tried for five years to escape. Silla, though, doesn’t want to forget; her parents’ apparent murder-suicide left her numb and needing answers. When a book of magic spells in her dad’s handwriting appears on her doorstep, she sees her chance to unravel the mystery of their deaths.

Together they plunge into the world of dark magic, but when a hundred-year-old blood witch comes hunting for the bones of Silla’s parents and the spell book, Nick and Silla will have to let go of everything they believe about who they are, the nature of life and death, and the deadly secrets that hide in blood. 



Blood Magic comes out April 26, 2011.


Possession by Elana Johnson- I am digging the white space in this cover. So often in YAs we get dark covers which works to set a mood but I like it when things go against the grain. As with Matched, I feel this cover really works to simplify and show purity. The fragile butterfly trapped in the clear cube for everyone to gawk out perfectly represents the title and bold touches of turquoise draw the eye to the right spot. This cover is breathtaking! 


The summary from Goodreads:


In this world, you're just a possession.


Well, this is actually more of a tagline but it's all they wrote. Look for more coming soon I'd bet!


Possession comes out June 2011. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for Blood Magic! I even have it pre-ordered.
    And Possession looks interesting, I hadn't heard of it before.

    Both have super great covers, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super excited for both! And youre right as usually about the covers! Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I also like the simplicity of the Possession cover. Often covers just have too much going on at once and it's distracting, but this one is subtle and symbolic.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen