Saturday, September 4, 2010

Getting To Know You... (3)

... Through Favorite Authors
My last post was about favorite novels so I want to take this chance to explain that obviously my favorite books are written by my favorite authors. For the purpose of this post, I will be picking other authors so we don't get more of the same. There are so many good books/authors out there to limit myself to five of the same! Again, these are my authors in no particular order.

Libby Bray's author photo
1) Libby Bray (author of the Gemma Doyle Trilogy & Going Bovine)- I read the Gemma Doyle trilogy before I knew they were YA. The cover of the book drew me in and Bray's writing swallowed me whole. I was completely enchanted. Then I found her website...

She was a completely different person than the lady that wrote this epic historical paranormal romance. She was hilarious and within about five lines into her posts I was literally snorting. Anyone who is willing (and comfortable) walking around New York City in a cow suit to advertise their newest novel is okay by me. Her web video with Maureen Johnson going into the American Girl doll store might have been one of the funniest things I've seen. For her awesome writing, great personality and all around hilariousness, Libby Bray is definitely one of my favorite authors!

2) Maria V. Snyder (author of Poison Study trilogy)-  I stumbled upon this series before it was considered YA (though I was delighted to see it was moved there later on). I was captivated from the first page and had NO IDEA how Yelena was going to get herself out of the situation she found herself in the beginning of the novel. The series continued to stay strong, getting better with each installment.

Snyder knows how to write characters that stick with you. I cared about each one by the end of the series and I had every confidence that the character would not only continue to make smart decisions but would also be able to take care of themselves (this isn't to say I didn't worry about them, I just knew they weren't going to go all flakey on me at the end). She's also marvelous at world building and her magic system was great!

I was lucky enough to meet her. I'm the one in the green and blue
3) Mari Mancusi (author of Gamer Girl & Boys That Bite series)- I've only ever read Gamer Girl by her and I really enjoyed that novel. What I loved most was it was about an audience that doesn't get much recognition... a girl obsessed with anime and slightly addicted to an online game. This is a rising majority in school's today and I never see novels about them. I liked getting snippets of her game playing along with her everyday life.

I pop by her blog often and she's always so pleasant to read about. Mancusi does the coolest things-- cosplaying at signings and visiting vampire cafes in Japan. Sign me up for an adventure with her any day!

4) J.K. Rowling (author of the Harry Potter series)- Yup, Miss Harry Potter herself definitely makes my list of things to do today (sorry for the Fall Out Boy references but I don't get many oppurtunities to use it and I'm taking this one).

What's not to love about a woman who literally made an entire generation want to read again? I was a little late to the Harry Potter craze but when it hit me, it hit me hard. When I decided to finally wander on over to buy the books the fifth novel had just come out. I bought the first one, read it one sitting and immediately (actually I begged my mom to immediately) went back out to get the next two books. It was a week of Hogwats and by the time I got to the last book out  I was hardcore. So hardcore, that for the next two books I helped my local bookstore for the midnight release by dressing as Trelawney and running houses. The last year I wasn't even working there.

I don't think I need to explain why I love this series so much. Basically Universal made an entire land out of it, so yeah.

5) Megan Crewe (author of Give Up The Ghost)- I really enjoyed reading Give Up The Ghost. All of the characters were great, the MC was believable and strong, and the plot kept me guessing. What I really liked about this novel was the fact that the paranormal and reality were expertly blended for an easy, interesting red. Not only was this novel wonderful to read, she's so generally nice!

Don't believe me?

Check out the interview and giveaway I posted on my blog. She was really responsive to my e-mails and seemed generally interested in what I had to say. Not only that but she gives a great interview that, for me at least, really enhanced my reading experience.

I can't wait to read what she's currently working on!

There are a bunch of other authors that could go on here and I'm sure many more will join this list but for now, this is it! So what about you? Who are some of your favorite authors and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen