Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Teaser Tuesday (57) and Top Ten Tuesday (4)


TEAser Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along, just do as following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include any spoilers so as not to ruin the book for others!
Make sure to share the title and the author so other TT participants can add the book to their TBR piles!

Ashfall by Mike Mullin
"...A year from now, the house will be as good as new, and you'll be cracking joke about this."
I nodded wearily and straightened up, Darren's hand still a comfortabl weight on my shoulder.
Then the explosions started.
--Pg. 18 of "Ashfall" by Mike Mullin 

I'm only about 50 pages into this one but wow, it's really scary. Perfect Halloween book folks. I really like the main character and can't wait to follow him on his journey through a ruined world!

Top Ten Tuesday is a 10's list meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. There is a different question every week and all you have to do is answer their question with your top ten results!
Top Ten Books I Judged Based on the Cover
I need to start this out by saying that I always judge a book by it's cover. It's not the deciding factor but it has a lot to do with whether I'll continue to check it out.
  1) The Chemical Garden Trilogy by Lauren DeStefano- I definitely lusted after the first novel because of that gorgeous cover. I could look at it all day. Simon & Schuster didn't disappoint with the second one either though this time, I know that the story inside is just as good as the cover on the outside.


2) Hush Hush Saga by Becca Fitzpatrick- I saw Hush Hush in a bookstore and ripped the thing off the shelf. I didn't even care what it was about because that cover was so flipping gorgeous. If, for some reason, this weren't a series, I'd still buy everyone of those books based on their covers. Absolutely beautiful!


3) The Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater- I was drawn to Shiver because it was so different than everything else out there. It was white and cold and refreshing. I wanted to be there. I feel like the covers just get better too!


4) Abandon by Meg Cabot- I've seen a lot if girls in dresses before but this one takes the cake. The odd color combination of brown, white and gold, the way the girl stretches over all the cover and the gorgeous font had me hooked. I had to have this one before I found out what it was even about.


5) Matched Series by Ally Condie- I'm not as much in love with the second cover as I was with the first one though I like what it represents. Matched is gorgeous from the model's pose to the color scheme to the font.


6) Wondrous Strange Trilogy by Lesley Livingston- All of these novels have a darkness about them that really sets the tone for the story. They are enchanting like every good faerie book should be! Plus, you have to love Kelley's red hair!


7) Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma- Everything about this cover works. It's interesting, mysterious and raws the eye.


8) Halo Series by Alexandra Adornetto- My husband picked up a copy of Halo and said "wow" (he's a digital artist). When he did this, I knew without a doubt that my suspicions of this being one of the best covers I've seen was right on the money. I still haven't read it but would pick it up again and again because of the cover.


9) (Original covers) Nightshade & Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer- Yup, I had to add the original covers. They look so magical and really jump off the shelf (Nightshade does anyway since Wolfsbane never came out) The new covers are okay but don't hold a candle to these.


10) Small Town Sinners by Melissa Walker- I wanted to add one more contemporary novel on here and this was my choice. I love the girl in the background and the apple with a heart bitten out of it in the foreground. It's so intriguing and I wanted this book immediately.


There's my list. What have you fallen in love with based on cover alone?

13 comments:

  1. Hey Amber, I read Ashfall a little while ago and it is such a great survivor story, hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great teaser! It's perfect for Halloween, even the cover is scary!
    Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this collection of covers! They are all so beautiful. I agree with pretty much everything you say about them. I said at the beginning of my post, too, that I do judge a book by its cover.

    I read on someone else's post earlier today a comment that YA books really do, as a collective whole, have more beautiful covers. I tend to agree with this. There are some really wonderful adult fiction covers, and I even chose a few, but for the most part the YA covers are the best.

    ~Asheley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are definitely some gorgeous covers. I love the Halo cover, haven't seen that one before, I've heard good things but never seen that cover.
    Wolves of Mercy Falls has always been one of my favourites.

    I've never heard of 'Ashfall' I'll have to look it up, looks good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great teaser! This book certainly sounds thrilling, and it just came out, right? Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great teaser! Sounds perfect for Halloween, happy reading :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some beautiful covers, especially Abandon. Here's my Top Ten Also great teaser Mine is on my page too, Ashfall is something I've wanted to read you make me want to bump it up on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great teaser. Can't wait to read Ashfall. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All your covers rock! I love the full Abandon cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to look at the covers of all three books of the Wolves of Mercy Falls series side by side. They're just that pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a suspenseful teaser! Love the covers you chose <3 YA covers just keep on getting better and better! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to reading Ashfall. I'll be watching for your review. Have a great week! Shari

    ReplyDelete
  13. i totally agree with you about hush hush!!!! it just draws you right in!!!!!
    so here is my teaser

    Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver

    "There are so many things I want to tell her, so many things she doesn't know; like how I remember when she first came home from the hospital, a big pink blob with a perma-smile, and she used to fall asleep while grabbing on to my pointer finger; how i used to giver her piggy back rides up and down the beach on Cape Cod, and she would tug on my ponytail to direct me one way or the other; how soft and furry her head was when she was first born; that the first time you kiss someone you'll be nervous, and it will be weird, and it won't be as good as you want it to be, and that's ok; how you should only fall in love with people who will fall in love with you back.

    I feel like my heart is breaking in that second because I know I'll never be able to tell her any of the things I need to. "
    p 282-283

    this is the first time i was reading a book and actually felt my heart breaking. if you havent read the book do so!!! its tough to start but once it does you cant put it down.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen