Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Book Review: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon


Reading Level: Young Adult
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen (October 4, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0062027875
ISBN-13: 978-0062027870
Series: Carrier of the Mark #1
Source: ARC provided by publisher
Cover: This cover is amazing. It's gorgeous to look at and makes sense in the book too. I love the wisps of blue floating up to meet her dress and I love the pose of the model. Absolutely amazing!
First Sentence: "Flames engulf the boat, and my lungs ached as a dark noxious smoke filled the air."


Mini-Review: Carrier of the Mark had some things going for it but also left things to be desired.


Summary:

Their love was meant to be.
When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRĂ­s.
But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.

Review:


Simply put, Carrier of the Mark let me down. I had high expectations for this novel because it was set in the one place I'd always dreamed of going... Ireland. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into the story because it felt like something I read before. There were a fair amount of good things about this story but I also had a lot of things that bothered me so this review is sort of split down the middle.


The setting is what drew me to the story and in that aspect, I wasn't let down. I had loads of fun picturing everyone accept Megan and her Dad with an accent and reading them in that lyrical tone that I love. There were also a fair amount to do with the boating and horseback writing. I liked the lingo a lot and thought Megan's group of friends were wonderful because of how colorful they were.


I was also drawn to the mythology in the book. I'm also interested in the elements and thought that the Order and the Marked were interesting. I was actually expecting faeries and was pleasantly surprised that it turned out to be something different. I was also surprised by all the science blending with magic and liked that aspect too. 


My problems where with the lead characters. I thought Adam and Megan were alright but I had no idea why they felt connected to each other. All I got was longing stares because he was pretty, him saving her and then them kissing after they'd only seriously talked once. I didn't understand what connected them on a deeper level. They talked but it was about the mission and the magic. I don't really know either of them as characters and their insta-love thing really bothered me. As I mentioned above, my biggest thing was that I felt I'd read this story before. It reminded me of Twilight but for me, it lacked the magic of that story. The plot just felt a little formulaic. I thought, oh this is going to happen and then it did.


I liked the other people in Adam's family. I thought Aine was the most believable out of the others. Fionn's history was definitely interesting and I felt the most for his character. Man, it's killing me because I wanted to feel more for this story but I just don't. I found myself anger with Megan for hiding a bunch of stuff from Adam and then realized it didn't matter because I was connected with them.


There were some things about this story that worked for me and other really important things that didn't. In the end, I'm happy I read this one but I really wish I liked it more. If you're really looking forward to this book then I'd definitely recommend getting it but if you read a lot of paranormal and are looking for something a little different, Carrier of the Mark probably isn't for you.


Rating


6 comments:

  1. I've really been seeing this book has been less then desirable.

    While reading your review, upon seeing Adam's Family, I had to stop and snap my fingers. *grin*

    Perhaps the next will be on its mark.

    Please do stop by for a crumpet & a spot of tea.

    If you enjoy yourself please do leave a comment on some of my reviews.

    They are lonely :(



    Mad Scientist @ Steampunkery & Book Reviews



    Forbidden Steam  Adult- even the Mad Scientist gets naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got a copy of Carrier of the Mark and I'm actually really looking forward to read this. So far I've only heard good things about it, so maybe it's good that I read your review now - maybe it will save me from disappointment. :)

    Thanks for sharing your honest opinion,
    Carina @ Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 stars for me, too. I agree that it seemed formulaic. I was pretty disappointed overall. Wish it had been more original. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uuuuh.... I purchased this book at book depository a few days ago. I still havent receive it but once I read it, I hope I'll like it more than you >_<

    Thanks for the honest review!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy this book. I loved it!

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw I'm sorry you didn't like this one as much as I did! But, I totally agree with you that Aine was prob one of my favorite characters, I really liked her!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen