Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Book Review: Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

Reading Level: Young Adult
Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Speak; Reprint edition (May 14, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0142414204
ISBN-13: 978-0142414200
Source: Purchased from Barnes & Noble
Cover: I originally bought Goddess Boot Camp first because I loved the premise. I had no idea that it was the sequel to this novel. So what I'm saying is, I wasn't actually drawn to this novel by it's cover but I do like it. I'm not saying I love it, but it does look good! I like this version (I believe it's the re-make) better than the other one with David's statue on it.
First Sentence: "When I'm running I can almost feel my dad at my side."

The Mini-review: Full of voice and bursting with personality, Oh. My. Gods. is a light, easy read with a wonderful main character you'll be cheering for all the way.

Book Summary:

All Phoebe Castro has to do is keep her grades up and have another stellar cross-country season and her dreams of attending USC with her friends on a track-scholarship is a reality. So it's a complete shock when her mom announces that she's marrying a near-stranger and moving them to Greece.
Before Phoebe knows it, she's stuck on a secret island in the Aegean and attending the superexclusive Academy, where her new stpfather is the headmaster and the kids are anything but your average students-- they're descendants of the Greek gods, superpowers included. If regular high schol wasn't band enough, this is mortal misery.
Phoebe's only chance of reclaiming her old life lies in securing that scholarship. But managing that may be an ungodly challenge, considerng she's got a sabotaging stepsister from Hades and a gorgeous guy--what a god!--in her way...

The Review:

Like Phoebe's main interest in the novel, I raced through the pages of Oh. My. Gods. The characters were compelling-- especially Phoebe as a lead--, the plot was interesting and the premise was amazing! I originally purchased this novel because I was writing a YA about Greek mythology and I wanted to do my research but I knew I wouldn't read it until after I'd completed my own work. This novel was well worth the wait.

I loved everything about Phoebe. She knew she was, who she wanted to be and where she wanted to go. You don't find that very often in YAs. She did have to find herself but in a refreshing, unusual way. Phoebe was comfortable in her own skin. She knew she was a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal and she was proud of this. She didn't change for anyone and that was really nice. I also really loved how she was willing to speak her mind and wasn't afraid to be bold. The bully, Adara, tries to give Phoebe a hard time and instead of being too tongue tied/nervous/wanting to not get on anyone's bad side, she gives it right back to her. For example, Phoebe goes to a bonfire where Adara confronts her:

"Well, well, well," A whiny voice I'm starting to get sick of says, "Look who showed up at the bonfire univited."... "Hi Adara,"I say with sugary sweetness. "I love your swimsuit." She scowls but can't resist the compliment. "Thanks--" "Of course, I loved it when everyone in L.A. was wearing it last summer." I turn to Troy and whisper dramatically, loud enough for everyone to hear, "It's so last season."-- Pg. 137
I love that Phoebe wasn't afraid to stand up for herself when she was being attacked. Phoebe was also confident enough to go for what she wanted, even if what she wanted was stupid. I liked her because she admitted when she was being dumb and that somehow made it all better. With a character who doesn't take bullying laying down and who has a great attitude with just a bit of spice for miles, it's hard not to enjoy this read. Phoebe's confident voices leads us from the warm-up, through the big race and right back down to the cooldown with a few snarky comments along the way. I, for one, enjoyed the jog.

The plot is a little predictable and everything sort of works itself out into a neat little bow but I had such a blast getting to the ending that I didn't mind. I didn't guess something about the ending (if you want to know what it is, ask in the comments but I don't want to give away a spoiler) and I had no idea why Nicole could hate Griffin so much. Speaking of Griffin, I didn't really get the attraction there. Yes, he was a runner and yes, he was good looking but he was also a completely ass and his whole I'm sorry speech really didn't make up for it. That's just a personal thing for me. I felt Troy was a much better choice...

The God aspect really made this novel sing. It was so fun sitting in the lunchroom with Phoebe and Nicole (like in Mean Girls) hearing about all the cliques and trying to figure out which god their group belonged to. I wish we'd have gotten to know who Nicole belongs to but I have a very distinct feeling it will be addressed in this next novel so I'm not too worried about it.

I loved that we got to see most of Phoebe's e-mails and ims because I always think things like this really add to a novel.

The cast of supporting characters were all very good. The only big problem I had was with Mom. I really wanted to like her but she acted like a lunatic at the beginning of the novel. She'd only been in Greece a week before she decided to move her and her daughter all the way across the world to marry a man. I understand fully that love is "a many splendored thing" but at the same time... you just don't be that reckless, especially if you are a therapist and a very rational human being. So when Mom just did that, well, I really didn't find it believable at all. If Mom had met him in a chatroom and been talking to him for month before meeting him, then it would have been a bit more believable or even if Mom had known him prior to her trip. I'm not saying I'd think she'd be any less crazy for doing what she did but then it'd be a lot more believable.

I have to say that I wasn't expecting what I got fom Oh. My. Gods. Phoebe's amazingly interesting voice and willingness to be herself is refreshing and addictive, the descendants of Greek gods all holing up in one school is a fun premise and the book keeps you on a light fun ride to the very last page. Make like Phoebe and run to the bookstore to snag yourself a copy!

Rating:

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to read this one. I haven't read too many God of Goddess stories - still need to get to Percy Jackson. Great review!
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review! Oh. My. Gods. sounds like a fun, cute read!! I've only heard about it a few times now, so it really nice to read how about much you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great review! Thanks, Amber, it defintely sounds like the book for me.
    The inclusion of IMs and emails proabably will make this book stand out. And I love the trailer.

    I'm putting it on my wishlist! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I have to start this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful review. I'm dying to read this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen