Thursday, November 3, 2011

Interview with Kiki Hamilton, Author of The Faerie Ring

Today, I have Kiki Hamilton on the blog to talk about her debut novel The Faerie Ring. In case you haven't heard from me or your friendly neighborhood book supplier, The Faerie Ring is one heck of an amazing historical paranormal YA with loads of intriguing, a fun and diverse atmosphere and a great mythology. Don't believe me? You can check out my review here. But first, stick around for the fun and learn who Tiki's literary BFF would be and how Tiki and the gang might fare picking pockets in today's London!


---***---

Hi Amber! Thanks so much for inviting me over to your blog today!

1)
How did the idea for The Faerie Ring come to you? What was your inspiration? 

There wasn’t anything in particular that inspired the story. I decided to write what I wanted to read. So, I started with my main character, Tiki, who was a pickpocket and I knew she lived in Victorian London. Since I didn’t have an outline for this book I had to keep writing to find out what happened next. I knew some of the other characters but I wasn’t sure what the plot was going to be until Tiki stole the Queen’s Ring – then it all fell into place and I had to type as fast as I could to keep up with the characters.

2) Tiki's loads of fun and pretty independent. If you could give her a best friend from any other book, who would it be? 

What a great question! I love this! I think Tiki and Ginny Weasley would have lots of fun together. They both have an independent spirit and stand up for what they believe in. Plus, they’re not afraid of risking a little trouble to get what they want. ;-) 

I think these two would be perfect best friends!

3) Tiki has a lot of trust issues in the book (for good reason). What draws her to Rieker? 

LOL - Tall, dark and handsome has nothing to do with it. J Tiki senses that there is more to Rieker than the exterior he presents to the world, plus he has information that Tiki wants. As she gets to know him better she begins to understand some of his motivations, plus she finds she needs him to accomplish what she wants to do. 

I'm thinking the tall dark and handsome thing has a little bit to do with it. ;-)

4) Speaking of that scoundrel Rieker, what motivates him and draws him to the street life? 

There are many layers to Rieker, as there are with most people. I don’t want to give away Rieker’s motivations but *some* of them are revealed in this first story.

5) Setting the story in Victorian England had to be a lot of research. How were you able to blend facts with fiction to make the world your own? What were some of the challenges? 

I loved writing about Victorian London. It is one of my favorite time periods - such a mix of technological change while at the same time belief in mysticism and the Otherworld was very strong. I also love the idea of stories from the past slipping through the cracks, the untold story, if you will – the kind that if we all knew - everything would change. I started with the well-known foundation of The Seelie and UnSeelie courts and then created my own world from there.

6) One of the great things about The Faerie Ring was it's setting. But say Tiki and her gang were transported to today. How do you think they'd fare pick pocketing? 

London is a very big, busy city. Especially on the Underground and in the tube stations. I think it would be pretty easy to pick a pocket and get away with it.

7) What was the most difficult scene to write in The Faerie Ring? 

Actually, the book was pretty easy to write – it just sort of fell out of my head onto the page.

8) Did anything significant change from the beginning of the story to final print? 

Nothing too substantial. There are always editorial changes but the heart of the story remained the same.

9) Have you read anything good lately?

 I read an ARC of Erin Morgenstern’s NIGHT CIRCUS recently and enjoyed that.

10) What are you working on right now? 

I finished a YA contemporary about a month and a half ago that my agent has and now I’m working on a YA fantasy that is unrelated to THE FAERIE RING.

10A) Anything you can tell us about The Faerie Ring #2? 

Well, I don’t want to reveal any spoilers but I can tell you that book 2 spends more time in the Otherworld and a few more characters are introduced who complicate things a bit. 

Amber, thanks so much for having me on your blog!


It was my pleasure! I can't wait to find out how much more trouble to Tiki, Rieker and the gang in The Faerie Ring #2. 

What about you? Have you read The Faerie Ring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen