Friday, April 8, 2011

Book Review: Tempestuous by Lesley Livingston

Tempestuous by Lesley Livingston

Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen (December 21, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 9780061740060
ISBN-13: 978-0061740060
Source: Purchased from Amazon.com
Cover: Another stunner in a series of stunner. Each cover gets more beautiful with this series. I picked up the first novel solely because of it's cover and would have picked up this one too if I hadn't already fallen in love with the characters. I love that her dress imitates wings and the color of her hair is gorgeous!
First Sentence: "The antique black carriage sped through the night, its tall spoked wheels whirring, skimming the surface of the river as though the spectral horse that pulled it followed a paved track."


Mini-Review: An incredible finale to an amazing series about fairies, love, Shakespeare and something close to a family.


Book Summary:


"I don't love Sonny Flannery." 
That's the lie Kelley Winslow told to protect the boy she loves from a power he doesn't know he possesses. Devastated, Sonny retreats—to a haven for Lost Fae that's hidden deep underneath New York City.
But Kelley's not about to let things end in heartbreak. To get Sonny back, she's got to find out who's after his magick—and how to use her own. She's got to uncover who's recruiting Janus Guards to murderously hunt innocent Faerie. She's got to help rebuild the shattered theater company she called family. And she's got to do it all without getting dangerously distracted by the Fennrys Wolf, whose legendary heart of stone seems to melt whenever he's around Kelley.
The intrigue and romance that began with Wondrous strange andDarklight come to a stormy head in Tempestuous, the breathtaking conclusion to Lesley Livingston's ravishing urban Faerie trilogy.
Book Review


Kelley, Sonny and The Fennrys Wolf are back for one more adventure to complete a stellar series, and Tempestuous doesn't disappoint. The character have all grown from the first novel and are ready to seek the ultimate truths and consequences of their actions, regardless of what that mean. The plot is fast paced, the romance is more develop and Tempestuous is wonderful because you can really feel that all the choices and betrayals and surprises were leading towards this one moment. And it doesn't disappoint.

Kelly has always been a smart, active lead. There aren't many times in this series where I've found myself yelling at her and when I did, she was yelling at herself. In this last installment, she has grown into her powers and is ready to find out all the secrets behind her mother and father. I was particularly happy with how her relationship with her mother evolved as I always thought they were interesting together. I was glad to see that she kept the lessons she learned in the first novel and continued to grow as a person. Sonny was a joy as always and I liked the chapters following him. I was kind of mad how they kept being angry with each other after they'd worked so hard to be together but I understood their motivations and they made sense so it was easier to accept.

What I really loved about this novel is that nothing in the series was wasted. The entire plot of the first novel was past of the way this novel ended. No detail was forgotten and everything mattered. The questions left lingering in the first two, filled out the third one and I was satisfied by the ending. After a lot of batting around in the first two, this last novel was a no-holds-bar ride. Ms. Livingston had no problem killing those who needed it and I appreciated the willingness for her to make permanent decisions. The ending was explosive. If the first few pages went by quick, the last fifty flew-- on purple wings, no less.

Tempestuous took all the things I loved about the first two novels and crafted the last to make a satisfying ending that will keep you thinking about Kelley and Sonny long after it's finished. This series isphenomenal and if you haven't gotten around to checking it out, I highly suggest you do. The fairy lore is fantastic and the mixture of Shakespeare's plays and Irish folklore is an explosive and attractivecombination.

Rating


I've got me a crush on Irish accents and this was a great book for them. How about you? Any books with accents you love?

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! But i've not read the others in the series...I really should!
    Thanks for alerting me to a great new series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my most favorite series! And I agree with you, it was a very satisfying ending! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen