Top Ten Bookish Confessions
So this week, it's time to dig down deep and make a few confessions. This has been a tough list for me because I've never thought hard about the things I do while reading and I haven't really fibbed about liking something. Check out my list!
1) I can't read if I haven't written my own work for the day- I'm a slow reader anyway but it doesn't help that I can't read if I haven't written any of my own book. Every time I try to read if I haven't written something for the day, I feel intensely guilty, Suddenly, every sentence I read feels like it's mocking me because I could be writing instead of reading. This is why it takes me as long as two weeks to finish a book sometimes.
2) I refuse to put a book on my finished shelf if I didn't complete it- It's just one of my pet peeves. I like to look at my "read" bookshelf and know that every single spine on there is something I've read.
3) I won't make my mind up about a book until I've read it completely- I won't review a book early even if the review is due out because I have to read the whole thing before I can make up my mind. It's been rare but sometimes book will change my mind by the end which is why I have to stick with it.
4) If I like a book but don't like something about it, I'll change it in my head- If I'm not thinking about my own work while doing laundry or brushing my teeth, I'm thinking about how I'd change this or that in the book I'm reading. It's always interesting to see what I can come up with and a lot of times it makes me feel closer to the my current read.
5) I mouth the words- It's a habit I picked up early on when everyone told you to sound out the words. If I'm really trying to focus, I'll mouth the words as I'm reading which is another reason it takes me a long time to read.
6) I won't lend out my books- Unless I really, really know you I'm not going to lend you my book. I'd rather buy you your own copy than give you mine. Nothing against everyone else, I'm just protective of my books.
7) I read better at night- I also watch t.v. better at night and snack and cook and hang out with my husband. It's tought because I like doing lots of things at night but if I sit down to read I get through a good ways of the book with the covers around me.
8) Book covers fool me- I have loved covers and hated insides. I have loved insides and loathed covers. The fact of the matter is, if it is pretty I'm going to buy it and I've gotten burned because of it.
9) I buy more books than I'll ever be able to read- That's a fact. My tbr pile is out of control. It takes over an entire bookshelf and then some. But I want to support the authors and buy their books. I have every intention of getting to them eventually.
10) Filing fetish- One of my favorite parts of reading is getting to file that finished book away on the shelf when I'm finished. Nothing makes me more excited than stepping back and seeing how the new addition looks!
What are your bookish confessions?