Yup, that's right. I'm currently addicted to The CW's The Vampire Diaries. I just went on a binge-r that could totally rival Stefan pre-Elena. Seriously! I had my wonderful husband download both Season 1 and 2 and have been staying up to the ridiculously early hours of the morning to watch them all. I am all caught up and ready for season 3!
So let me take this time to tell you this: The Vampire Diaries is REALLY good. I'd seen the first three episodes and was mildly interested but by episode 4, it becomes a little like crack. All of the characters are so well fleshed out, every episode has a plot twist (or five) that will leave you with your mouth hanging open, the scenery is gorgeous and the acting is surprisingly really good.
Here are some things you need to know:
- Thinking about watching the show? Well, you should! Give it six episodes to catch your attention and then sit back and relax as every episode expands the world and it's characters just a little bit more.
- I am Team Damon. For those of you who don't know me, this is HUGE news. I am that typical viewer who always like the first boyfriend. Therefore, I should like Stefan for Elena but I don't... I think the chemistry between Damon and Elena on screen is undeniable and while I like Elena and Stefan, I'm not rooting for them as a couple.
- I want to live at Mystic Falls. This show does an incredible job of creating a town that feels real and full of history. It's like it's own living breathing character. Then through diaries and people who lived at the time, it tells it's own story. The Tomb, the house where the witches were burned, the Grill, the Salvatore house all feel like real places. Places that make me smile and feel like home. Amazing!
- The acting is really good. I know, I'm shocked too! The first two episodes sort of felt like an equal version of the Twilight movies- you know, not terrible but just enough to make you wish you were watching it alone instead of in a big theater-- but after that, the actors really start to understand their characters. I've been a fan of Nina Dobrev (Elena/Katherine) since her Degrassi days and I must say, as the lead she really doesn't disappoint. She's strong, her chemistry with both actors of the male leads is undeniable and she makes you want to be Elena's friend. Great! This show had me shedding some tears several times.
- The minor characters are developed too. The ex-boyfriend who is still in love with the lead character? He's got a storyline. The school bully? Yup, him too. The annoying friend? Hers is there. The lovable little brother? Even he gets his chances to shine! Everyone is fleshed out and it becomes those minor characters that make the show fantastic. This is one of those rare shows that when they flash back from a commercial break, I don't mind that a subplot is expanded instead of what I just saw. I care about all of them!
- The Salvatore brothers are my second favorite brothers on t.v. right now! My first will always be the Winchesters. Sam and Dean? Amazing! But Damon and Stefan Salvatore are very close seconds. I love their loyalty, the way their story lines intersect, the trials they are put through with each other and sometimes, by each other. Both are still revealing parts of their very long and complicated pasts and they are both evolving on the show. It's a pleasure watching them.
- Last, let's not lie. Everyone on this show is gorgeous. From the guys to the girls, they all look perfect and they know their roles. I'm sorry but what's not to love?
So now like the rest of the fans, I am desperately craving a hit from one of my new favorite series on t.v. I'll tell you all one thing, summer has never seemed so long and so hot before! Enjoy the break guys, because I want all my actors/actresses ready to tape in the fall. I, for one, will have my channel flipped on come Thursday nights at 8 pm this fall!