Recently I read Ms Revis's debut novel Across The Universe and fell head over heels in love with it (review here) so I contacted her in hopes that she might agree to do an interview with me. And she did (or else there probably wouldn't be this post). So check out what Ms. Revis had to say to all of my questions and don't forget to enter my giveaway to win a copy of her amazing novel!
1) How did you come up with Across The Universe? Was there something in specific that served as inspiration?
The idea for AtU came from the ending...I had an idea for a twisty solution to a mystery, and decided to write a book around it.
2) I loved that Across The Universe was told in dual perspectives. Did you always plan on telling both Amy and Elder's side of the story? Which perspective did you identify with more?
I did always intende to write both POVs--for the story to work, I knew I wanted to show different perspectives. I think I identified most with Elder in the beginning, but when Amy became much more vulnerable near the end, she matched my personality more.
3) On this adventure, Amy and her family were allowed to pack some suitcases full of things to bring. Your suitcase can only hold five things. What's coming with you?
-My laptop, filled with all my writings and photographs and music and audio books
-My iPod, to use as a backup for all the rest, and to keep it all close
-My jewelry box, filled with my wedding ring and the jewelry passed down from my family
-My favorite book: CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia
(Although I do feel as if I've cheated by putting things inside of things and filling up my lap top...)
4) Another one of my favorite aspects of the novel were the inventions on the ship. If one could be real, what would you like to have?
I want floppies! I would LOVE to have something that thin and portable that can do ANYTHING electronic you want. So cool.
5) Was there anything that got cut during the editting process that you miss? Reversely, was there anything added that you love?
Not really--I was totally cool with all the cuts I made. And I really like all the things I added--in particular, Luthe's character was mostly added in during edits, and I'm really pleased with how he turned out.
6) Giving Amy a hobby like running and then sticking her on a small ship really made me feel her clastrophobia. What is one of your phobias?
This is SO weird, but I HATE looking at myself in the mirror when the room is dark. It's so creepy!
7) Sci-fi is not a popular genre is YA fiction. What made you choose sci-fi or did it choose you?
The story needed the sci fi setting--I made the setting to fit the story.
8) Is there a particular song (besides, of course, the obvious one from the title) or band that you feel represents Across The Universe?
I LOVED Mads Langer's song "Fact/Fiction." I listened to that one on repeat a LOT.
9) Have you read anything recently that you loved?
Too many books to count! I recently finished PRISONERS IN THE PALACE and loved it, and I'm currently reading and really enjoyed MAGIC UNDER GLASS.
10) Are you working on anything new at the moment?
I'm focused on some short stories now, but then I'm going to need to buckle down on the edits for Book 2.
Win Across The Universe by Beth Revis
- This is an INTERNATIONAL contest (if Book Depository ships to you, then you are eligible)
- This contest ends February 2nd
- You must be a follower of my blog
- You must be 13 years or older
- You may only entry once
- Leave a comment in the section below about the interview for an extra point!
- You must fill out the form below